Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Commencing Harvest Tally



This will probably last about 10 seconds, but it is now my intention to weigh my harvest this season and see what I come up with. Anybody want in on a little friendly competition? I'm going to keep my tally (until it becomes publicly humiliating or until I get otherwise occupied) over at Freedom Gardens, where they have started a drive for a million harvest pounds. Hope to see you there!



So today, I'm here (and there) to report ... drumroll please ... 10 pounds Jerusalem Artichokes (out of 6 sq ft).

I have NEVER ONCE thought about cooking them, they are too good raw, but a blogger I read occasionally swears this is delicious:

Mashed Jerusalem Artichokes

* 3 1/2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes
* 1 pound boiling potatoes
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 3 cups milk
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

Peel Jerusalem artichokes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Peel potatoes and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 5-quart kettle combine artichokes, potatoes, salt, and milk with enough water to cover vegetables by 2 inches and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain vegetables in a colander and return to kettle. With a potato masher mash vegetables with butter and salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Vegetables may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring vegetables to room temperature before reheating, covered.

(Editorial comments: Peel them?!?!? Oh please! 3/4" pieces?!?!? When pigs fly! Put 3 c of milk DOWN THE DRAIN?!?!? I don't think so!)

No comments: